Milwaukee Cocktail Week is making a comeback this year and it starts today with the “Kickoff Tailgate.” We’d thought we’d join in and share one of our favorite cocktail inspired “tailgate” recipes! For more information about Milwaukee Cocktail Week visit their website. Also, keep checking back this week for more cocktail-themed posts!
Apple Jack Pulled Pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 5-7 lbs. pork butt roast
- 1⁄4 cup fig infused balsamic vinegar
- 12 oz. hard apple cider (I used Smith & Forge Hard Cider)
- 1⁄2 cup Jack Daniels liquor
- 1 medium white onion, sliced into rings
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and peeled
- BBQ sauce if desired ( I love our local Speed Queen BBQ sauce. It definitely has a cult following)
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cumin, pepper and salt. Rub mixture over the roast. Place the roast in a large crock-pot set on low. Pour the balsamic vinegar, apple cider and whisky around the sides of the roast but not over the top. Place the onions and apples around the sides and on top of the roast. Close to cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low or until the roast is very tender. Remove roast from the crock pot and shred with two forks. Strain out some of the juices and the onions and apples to use on the side. You may make this into a gravy or use it as is. You can also top the shredded meat with your favorite spicy BBQ sauce and serve on a toasted bread.